SDM watched the tape of the Village Council’s budget meeting last night and observed the following:
- Not too many people are interested in the budget apparently. Only one person spoke and he was concerned about speed limits being too low.
- The Mayor responded that she would like to see “30 MPH speed limits village-wide, strictly enforced.” (12:20) SDM Says: Great, now the village can spend all of its time ticketing its residents for speeding, which is perfectly consonant with their intent of driving every living person in the village nuts.
- The only real proposition SDM heard was the Vice Mayor’s terrible, wasteful idea of hiring two additional police officers. (3:56) SDM Wonders: Are you going to be Palmetto Bay’s new “pander-bear” Mr. Dubois? Last year, the police chief asked for one officer and the village gave him two. If he asks for two, will you give him four? Do any of you care about the “budget,” really?
- Kaptain Kreepy must have been sleepy last night. The meeting tape starts right in the middle of the foolish police proposal.
- The Mayor apparently is going to stone wall her association with pbcheckstherecord.com. SDM heard nothing on the subject.
SDM found this observation by Jim Geraghty, a writer for National Review, quite applicable to our “Mayor-problem” as SDM calls it now:
When there is evidence of scandalous or bizarre behavior on the part of a political figure, and no reasonable explanation is revealed within 24 to 48 hours, then the truth is probably as bad as everyone suspects.
Nobody withholds exculpatory information. Nobody who’s been accused of something wrong waits for “just the right moment” to unveil information that proves the charge baseless. Political figures never choose to deliberately let themselves twist in the wind. It’s not the instinctive psychological reaction to being falsely accused, it’s not what any public communications professional would recommend, and to use one of our president’s favorite justifications, it’s just common sense.
Of course, Geraghty was writing about the President’s problems with Benghazi, the IRS and the Justice Department’s investigation of the Associated Press, but the quote resonates nonetheless.
SDM Wonders: If Mayor Stanczyk is not guilty of creating, funding and writing her devious blog, then why isn’t she vehemently denying involvement?